| Season 1, Episode # 17 |
Number (#17) in series (117 episodes)
|Guest star(s)||Gigi Perreau |
|Writer(s)||David P. Harmon|
|Original airdate||January 23, 1970|
| « Previous|
| Next »|
To Move or Not to Move
The Undergraduate is the seventeenth episode of Season 1 of The Brady Bunch TV series, and also the seventeenth overall episode in the series. Written by David P. Harmon and directed by Oscar Rudolph, the episode premiered on ABC-TV, airing on January 23, 1970.
Greg seems to be having trouble with math. Mike and Carol discover that Greg's "math trouble" is actually him having a crush on his math teacher, Miss Linda O'Hara (Gigi Perreau). The situation is resolved when Miss O'Hara's fiancee, Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team's first base player Wes Parker, promises Greg two tickets to the next season's opener if Greg promises to get an A in math.
Greg has been acting strange of late. This behavior coincides with his mathematics mark plummeting, especially in the fact that he, usually an A-student in math, got an F on his last test. Carol thinks that the two issues may be associated, and perhaps he is sick. When Alice finds a note in Greg's book, they learn that Greg is sick, but not quite the way they had originally thought: he's lovesick, the note being a love letter he wrote to a girl named Linda.
Mike and Carol want to help Greg in dealing with his puppy love and by association his lack of focus in math class without letting on that they know about the love letter. This approach doesn't seem to open Greg up to talking about the issue, so they figure they have to find out more about the Linda of his affections. After much searching, they do find Linda, but she's not quite who they expected. Ultimately, a friend of Greg's math teacher, Miss O'Hara, may be able to help Greg refocus his priorities back on math.
- Robert Reed as Mike Brady
- Florence Henderson as Carol Brady
- Maureen McCormick as Marcia Brady
- Eve Plumb as Jan Brady
- Susan Olsen as Cindy Brady
- Barry Williams as Greg Brady
- Christopher Knight as Peter Brady
- Mike Lookinland as Bobby Brady
- Ann B. Davis as Alice Nelson
- Gigi Perreau as Miss Linda O'Hara
- Wes Parker as Himself
- Theresa Warder as Linda (uncredited)
- (Carol is reading the school directory)
- Carol: I'm talking about Greg's school annual.
- Alice: What's so fantastic?
- Carol: There's not a Linda in it.
- Alice: Impossible. Every school has a Linda.
- Carol: Stephanie, Joy, Cole, Lisa, Jenny, Gigi, Robin, Darline ...
- Alice: No Mary? Wow, talk about a generation gap.
- (Bobby walks into the kitchen and ignores Carol)
- Carol: Hi, mom. Here's a kiss for you.
- Bobby: (With his mouth full of food) Hi, mom. Here's a kiss for you.
- Carol: Well, we know that Greg's problem is that he's in love with a girl named Linda.
- Mike: The question is how can he handle it.
- Alice: How about ... some more coffee?
- (Alice walks in on Bobby with his toy car)
- Alice: Oh, say. That car is really beautiful. What are you gonna name her?
- Bobby: What do you mean?
- Alice: Racers always name their cars after a girl.
- Bobby: They do?
- Alice: Always.
- Bobby: Well, I'll think of one.
- Alice: Maybe I can help you.
- Bobby: Naw, you want me to call it Cindy, Jan, or Marcia.
- Alice: You were right. Being sneaky never pays.
- Carol: I know. I've just spent five minutes, trying to convince Jan I'm not having a baby.
- Greg's first love interest is in this episode.
- A running gag in this episode is people continually taking Greg's temperature.
- William Shakespeare's Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day? is read in this episode.
- It is revealed that Greg and Peter both know about "The Birds and the Bees".
- Cindy and Jan have only one scene in this episode.
- Cindy's doll, Kitty Karry-All from "Kitty Karry-All Is Missing" makes a second appearance.
- In the episode "54-40 and Fight", Carol claims that she doesn't care about the women in Mike's past. However, she seems perfectly fine with hearing about the girl that he had a crush on in his Biology class.